Friday, December 6, 2013

FF: Sisters' 10 BOM Top


I really should be posting pictures of my finished Sisters' 10 quilt, but today, I've only got the top for you. I'm making this quilt for my husband for Christmas, but two tornado relief quilts have nudged their way into the queue, and my husband has graciously told me that any time the quilt is done is fine. (Which is really very sweet since he's been excited about getting his own quilt since January when I started the BOM.)

The quilt is a big one. 78" square, peeps. 78". And I am somehow going to feed this puppy through Agatha's throat space. I'll get it done, but I am fully aware that the largest quilt I've quilted to date is 60" x 80", so this one will be special.


The blocks were all very different, requiring a number of different components (HSTs, QSTs, and a few other tricks I hadn't gotten around to trying yet). The only problem I ran into is that I didn't purchase all of my gray solid when I first started piecing the top, and by the time I got to piecing the negative space, I realized that I didn't remember what kind of solid it was. I was pretty sure it was kona, so I tried kona coal. Nope. I thought it might be kona steel because I'd purchased some for a bee block, but I didn't want to order 2 yards and realize that wasn't it either. So I finally ordered a swatch of kona steel, which thankfully matched. Some people may have been okay with a close gray, but it would have given my husband heart problems. (He's an engineer.) The rest of the fabric is Center City by Jay McCarroll and a handful of unidentified solids.

I've yet to decide on how to quilt this one, especially the negative space, but I have a few ideas, and I'm excited to see this one done. (Eventually. Probably next year if I'm being entirely honest. Sorry, Husband.)

I really enjoyed participating in this BOM from Gen X Quilters, and I really appreciate AnneMarie for making it available to us. Thanks, AnneMarie! At this point, I won't be participating in a BOM for 2014 because I'll be in two, maybe three bees, and I don't want to kill myself. And that's really unfortunate because AnneMarie's Vice Versa BOM looks totally amazing, and I love the finished layout. (We'll see if I cave and do it anyway.)

Thanks for stopping by, Friends! I'm linking up with TGIFF at Quokka Quilts and Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts! (Also, can I just say, Happy 200th post to me?)

11 comments:

  1. Really cool layout. To be honest I don't usually like quilt with these sort of blocks but it looks really great with so much negative space. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so tempted to do this one! Yours is beautiful and your hubby is lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! That negative space is wonderful, and I love your palette... Lucky husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's really excited, and so it's exciting for me. If only I could get this done quickly! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! 200!! That's great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Audrey on finishing such a big quilt top!! It looks awesome with all those Center City prints - and the gray background makes it really shine. Thank you so much for participating in Sisters' Ten with me this year - I am glad you enjoyed it! And props to hubby for understanding!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...