Friday, February 14, 2014

FF: K's Mini Quilt.


I started up work again on my City Sampler quilt this week. I thought I had finished through #60, but in fact, I stopped at #58. And would you look at #58? It's maybe the easiest block in the entire book. It took about two seconds to finish.

But I've only posted that pic because this post is about my friend K's belated Christmas gift, and I don't want even the slightest hint of what it is to reach her blog feed. (She's been instructed to stay far away from my blog today.) Here's what I really want to show you: 


It's ridiculously late for a Christmas gift, but it's done, and that's what matters, right? Oh, and I kind of think it's awesome. But I'm happy to give it away because it's going to one of my favorite people, K! (In case you're new around these parts, K taught me how to quilt over two years ago, and that poor girl has since had to put up with my almost out of control obsession. Because of this, she deserves all things pretty. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if the reason for her move last fall wasn't entirely because of the new job....)


But back to the mini: Oh, NY Beauty blocks. How I love you.

Not when I'm putting you together, of course. I absolutely hate you when I'm piecing you. But when you're all said and done? Oh la la. YES. 

The background is Kona Nightfall, which is a really yummy dark blue. The rest are a smorgasbord of prints, including fabric from my very first quilt. I echo quilted the interior triangles as well as the outer triangles using four different thread colors to match the four different triangle colors. (See what I did there? Yeppers. I'm super clever and creative.)


And the back, using a print from Lizzie House's Constellations line. I had been hoarding this print, but how could I not share it with a friend, especially when I knew it would be perfect. We'll be having a visit from K's husband this weekend, and I'll be sending it back with him, so K will have it soon enough. (I really hope she likes it!)

I'm linking up today with TGIFF, hosted by M-R at Quilt Matters and Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts. This is also a finish from my 2014 Q1 FAL list. You can see my original list here.

10 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! I really like the contrasting stitching and the whole night sky theme with the block/backing/Kona Nightfall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a beauty! Thanks for bringing it to show-n-share the other night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! I'm glad I finally got to bring something to our s-n-s.

      Delete
  3. That is absolutely gorgeous, and certainly worth the wait! (And of course I enjoyed the city sampler peek as well!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like the peek! I'm hard at work. I've got to have something to show in March! :)

      Delete
  4. That is such a beautiful star. Love the variegated thread in the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special gift! I like the combo of the Kona nightfall and the bright colors. She's sure to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Audrey, it's beautiful! What a wonderful and thoughtful gift to make and give to your friend. Love the bright colours against the dark background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly a good friend to deserve curved piecing :). I have done a fair amount of paper piecing, but none in the NY beauty style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous gift, i love your multicolored quilting!
    I've been wanting to try one of the NY Beauties, kinda scared though :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...