Friday, June 13, 2014

FF: Northern Lights, Number 3.


And I finished my third Northern Lights quilt yesterday. Woo! That's one quilt down, three more to go before Fava arrives.


I should have been really awesome and actually paid attention to the names of the solids I used, but I wasn't. I liked the color progression, and that's all that matters. (For the record, my amazing quilting sensei helped me pick out this color palette when she was last in town. I'm considering kidnapping her the next time she comes for a visit, that way, she'll never be far when I need help with a fabric pull.) They're a mix of Bella and Kona solids, but from the feel of the fabric, I'm guessing that yellow is something else as it has a much different hand than the others. The pattern is the incredibly awesome Northern Lights pattern by Jaybird Quilts. This is the third time I've made this quilt, so I guess it's pretty obvious how much I love it. One day I'll actually find time to make a big one for me!


I used a Modkid fabric from Joann's for the backing. I really enjoy this print anyway, but when I was pulling bolts looking for something that might work, I realized this print is almost an identical match for the colors on front. How could I say no to that? So I'm pretty stoked for that.

For quilting, I went with the exact same plan I used for the first two. Double echo quilting along the vertical seam lines. I love the finished look, and it makes for a soft and cuddly finish. 


The binding is a darker blue solid. I had really wanted to sneak that blue onto the top somewhere, but the progression wasn't right. So we added another blue instead, and thankfully, I still got to squeeze it in as binding. This is my best machine binding job so far. (By FAR.) I guess I am improving a bit. I read a bunch of machine binding tutorials last week, expecting to discover some new tricks and tips, but for the most part, my execution is the same as "the pros" so practice (and perhaps confidence? skill? luck?) must be the differing factors.


This is all ready to go to its new home in Alabama. It's headed to a baby boy who is due only two days before Fava. I'm really quite thrilled I got it done in time. Baby boy is not only a first baby, but I believe he's also the first grandbaby on both sides, so he needed an extra special quilt.


I'm linking up today with TGIFF hosted by the super awesome Jo of Riddle and Whimsy and the Jaybird Quilts Sew Along at Sew Sweetness! 

11 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Great color choices :-) Love that pattern too... may have to add this to my list! Happy Friday!

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color progression, too. Lucky little boy got a stunning quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I love when the back correspond with front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful and the backing is just perfect! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this quilt also. Have yet to make it though. It's lovely to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! You definitely should. It comes together well for a striking punch! :)

      Delete
  6. Isn't this pattern awesome, I really enjoyed putting mine together too. and I love seeing your color choices, so very lovely for a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great colors for this one, LOVE it. And that backing is so seriously perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that solid blue as binding. I can never keep track of solid colours, I wish they were printed in the selvedges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colours and gorgeous quilt. I'm sure the little bub and his family will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...