Friday, July 31, 2015

Quilt Top for my Dad.


THIS QUILT. (Top.)

Do you ever have problems visualizing what something will turn into? I really struggle with scrappy stuff. I'm always certain it's going to turn out looking like absolute junk because it always seems to at the beginning. When I laid out the first two or three blocks I received from my lovely bee mates (Hive 8, yeah baby!) I wasn't sure it was going to look as I imagined. I had wanted scrappy navy and blues and was it going to come together?

But when every block had arrived and I put them side by side, I couldn't believe how well they worked. It was crazy! It was chaotic! It was scrappy! And yet, the end result was exactly what I had hoped for.

WIN.


I needed one more block, but one of the girls had included some extra bits (which was SUPER nice), so I didn't have to cut fabric for the center star, excepting the navy corner pieces. Searching through scraps, I discovered that bit of Darth Vader fabric, and that bit makes this block my favorite of the entire quilt.



I had flirted with the idea of getting this one quilted by a local long armer, but when I spoke with them last week, things were backed up until October! And I'm kinda hoping to deliver it when I see my dad in October, so I will have the pleasure of quilting this one myself. That means I need to get my derriere moving!

Here are some details if you're interested: the block is the Autumn Star block by Faith of Fresh Lemons Modern Quilting. I had my hive mates use navy and white fabrics. Some of the white is white on white, some is solid white. I sashed the blocks first in Kona White, then in Kona Navy to finish it off. I have no idea what I'll be backing it with, but I'll figure something out. (I always do!) And binding...hmmm. I think it measures 52" by 69"? Something like that.

Happy Friday, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely finish!!! Have you tried sheets for the back of a quilt yet? They're my go-to for gifted quilts (since no one appreciates pieced backs but a quilter, apparently). Alternatively, I believe that blue and white print from Doe comes in a wideback, you know, if you don't want to piece it.... :D No matter what you choose, I'm sure your dad will LOVE it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, Audrey, and way to go Hive 8-those are beautiful blocks! I like Sarah's suggestion of some wide Carolyn Friedlander for the back; her prints are so masculine and might compliment this top well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I have the same problem with scrappy stuff, I just can't believe that it will be okay... ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...