Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Mid-Year Review.


This year has been a whole lot of chaos and rebuilding and noise. OMG, can we talk about the noise? My almost two-year-old is currently wielding a harmonica that my dear sweet husband gave to him. PRAY FOR ME. I've moved states, which involved packing and loads of adulting. I've made it through the first half of a pregnancy. I've almost finished homeschool planning for the 2016-2017 year, the first year I'll be teaching two kidlets. And with all of that going on, I've still managed to do a bit of sewing. While all of that stuff kept me from posting at the first link-up of the year, it didn't stop me from making goals for what I hoped to accomplish in 2016, and I'll be linking up for the mid-year review at Quilting Jetgirl.

1. Make Stuff that I Want to Make
Midnight Mystery Quilt from Meadow Mist Designs
There have been definite successes in this arena. While I wavered back and forth on a quilt that etiquette dictates I probably *should* make, I ultimately decided not to. Instead of being completely concerned and absorbed solely by what the recipient of a quilt would like, I've made certain that each project had a 'me' element. There is something to be said for considering the likes and dislikes of the recipient, but I got into this place where I was making quilts that I didn't even like, and they were sometimes painful to complete.

2. Make Stuff for Me

241 Tote by Noodle-head
I'm especially excited that I finished the 241 tote that has been on my to-make list for ages. I haven't touched my Midnight Mystery quilt top, which will eventually live on my bed, but I have hope for that.

3. Try New Things


Yep, yep, and yep. I finished a pair of knit socks, which feel like pillows on my feet. Years ago, my mother-in-law brought me some beautiful hand-dyed yarn from Alaska, and I finally feel brave enough to use it, so I'm hoping to cast on my first shawl soon. But I think I'm most excited about my continued use of knit fabric. I was really quite terrified of sewing with knits, and while my projects haven't necessarily been perfect, they have all been wearable, and I'm excited to further explore this.

4. Finish a Quilt a Month

Pattern is Beacon by Quilting Jetgirl
This is a sort of. I finished one quilt in January, February, and March. So far, so good. I finished TWO in April, which helps because I finished zero in May and June. I've finished one quilt this month, and I might polish off a second, so this goal is still achievable. I may finish 12 quilts this year. But I might not, and I'm giving myself a pass on this one if necessary as I have a baby coming, and little known fact, they take up a bit of time. (Understatement of the year, perhaps?) 

5. Donate at Least One Quilt


Yes! I donated my Frozen Watermelon quilt to my local Project Linus chapter. I'd love to make at least one more this year, but that probably won't happen.

6. Get Started on Birthday/Holiday Gifts

Maxaloones!
I have made some birthday gifts, and I've made a list of what I'd like to make for this holiday season. We'll see how good I am about actually starting those gifts and getting them done in a timely fashion. A couple of years ago, I suffered severe burnout for the entire month of January because I had crammed so much last minute Christmas sewing into the final weeks of December. I wasn't sure I would ever want to touch my sewing machine again. (Silly, yes, but at the time, a very valid fear.) I'd like to avoid that experience if possible.

7. Continue Working Through Modern Rainbow

This is my version of Bryan's Huckleberry quilt.
I have a long-term goal to make every quilt from Rebecca Bryan's Modern Rainbow book. I love pretty much every quilt in that book, and I've made two so far. I'm hoping my next one will be her Wavelength quilt, and I'd love to have it on my wall, but we'll see.

All in all, I'm where I want to be. (Not exactly true: I'd like to have all of my holiday gifts already finished so I don't have to make them!) But looking back at my goals list, I think I've made good progress or have the opportunity to, so no complaints here. 

4 comments:

  1. Yay! My Midnight Mystery quilt sat for months unquilted and I finally sent it home with my mom so she could send it to the long armer. #noshame

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made amazing progress on your goals given: life! Seriously, you are also on a hot streak right now which is really fun because that means I get to see more photos of your work. :) Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a productive half year you've had! I hear you on cramming holiday sewing. We all try to avoid it but it has a habit of creeping up, doesn't it? Good luck with your goals for the last half of the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still haven't quilted my midnight mystery either! I am in awe of your finish 1 quit a month goal!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...