Monday, September 26, 2016

30 Days of Quilt Design 21-25


21. Untitled
Numbers 21 and 22 were both inspired by my day 18 design. That one design served as direct inspiration for four others! For 21, I took the center bit and threw it on point. But it looked a bit funky, so I actually recreated it in photoshop to make the proportions happier, and I changed the corners a bit because I love me a good pinwheel.

While this color combination was a stretch for me, I like the way it turned out. I feel like I could make this quilt, and I could make it 'me'.


22. Untitled
This is the same block as 21, but with sashing added, and boy, does that make a difference! I didn't want the sashing to be white, but I'm not in love with the brown. I wonder what this would look like if I sashed it with the same light blue as the block? I really am learning that the options are endless.

If I look at them side by side, I think I prefer the no sashing look, but I think the color palettes are also heavily contributing to that conclusion. I really do need to mock them up in the same colors and verify that! 


23. Hexagon
Yet another example of my totally wicked naming skillz. 




24. Garden Patchwork
I picked up this Cloud 9 fabric ages ago, and I have been saving it for the 'right' project. (Y'all know exactly what I mean, I'm sure!) I wouldn't do it with solids--those would definitely be prints, but I think I've determined that I would love this fabric with just basic patchwork. If I didn't have a kajillion projects currently on my to-do list, I might pull fabric and start cutting now, but I'm going to exercise restraint and behave myself. (Probably.)


25. Graphic
And...back to graph paper, at least for this one. I had fun drawing this one. I think I would FMQ a quote over it in red thread. I'm thinking this one, by Carl Sagan:

"The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies, were all made in the interior of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff."

I have a thing for stars, and this quilt does nothing to evoke the feeling or appearance of stars, but it does make me feel that things aren't always what they seem, and they don't always go as expected, just like you wouldn't necessarily think of individuals as being composed of 'starstuff'. I like thinking I share the magic of stars.

And that, friends, is another set of designs for #30daysofquiltdesign. I sketched #26 last night, which means only FOUR MORE TO GO.

3 comments:

  1. I really like graphic and the quote by Carl Sagan. It's fun to see this evolve for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first and last one really pull at me, such striking designs! I've really enjoyed seeing you share your designs with this challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the graphic one. Such a strong image. Keep up the good work! You are doing great :)!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...