Friday, October 21, 2016

Mustard Landing Shawlette


I had cast off my first shawl...ahem, shawlette, more on that in a minute...a few nights ago, and I decided last night was finally the time to block this bad boy and get 'er ready for this fall. Though the temps have been in the 80s for the past few days, apparently tomorrow is supposed to dawn with chillier weather full of wind gusts.

I used the Indigo Landing Shawlette pattern, which, for a first shawl attempt, was awesome. It had some fun detail, but it wasn't like a kajillion different types of lace. Definitely the right pattern for me!


This was only my second attempt at blocking anything. I did kinda sorta block my knit socks, which mostly consisted of letting them soak, trying to get as much of the hot pink dye out as possible. This time, I looked up a tutorial, let me shawl soak for thirty minutes, then carefully dried it as much as possible and actually blocked it. I had grand hopes that blocking it would shape it decently enough for me to wear it.


I woke up this morning, and my first thought was--shawl! I raced--okay, waddled--downstairs and removed the blocking pins. It had shaped well! And...

...it was still way too small.

My first problem is that I picked a shawlette pattern, which I didn't notice until I was about to cast off. (Go me! Super observant!) 

As for problem number two, well, I knit tightly. I always have. I don't know why. I even tried to be extra relaxed with this shawl, but nope. It still turned out too tight. And even though I added a TON of rows in an attempt to lengthen the shawl, it won't wrap around my shoulders, which is just SAD. I even knitted a gauge in an attempt to be responsible, which I NEVER DO. In the past, I've always gone up a size in needles, which hasn't been a terrible thing as I was usually making stuff that didn't require shape. Next time, I'll just trust my gut and use the bigger needles.


But, that doesn't mean it's not a super cute tiny scarf thingie. And if I manage to procure a shawl pin instead of using a hair clip, I bet it would look EVEN CUTER. So I'll definitely wear it, and the yarn washed up so soft and comfy, and it's warm. My husband even thought it was supposed to look like this, so it rings of intent. But I still want a shawl! And a shawl I shall (eventually) have. (If you know of a good shawl pattern, hook a girl up, will you? Keep in mind I am not a super advanced knitter.)

This is my second finish from my Q4 FAL list. Woo!

4 comments:

  1. This is so pretty and you are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so beautiful (and the colors perfect for you and fall), and you are just glowing wearing it. I have no knitting experience at all, and I love the different details in the design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even too small, your little shawl is absolutely lovely. :) Back in college, a friend and I were polar opposites when it came to crochet. I was tight and she was loosey-goosey. We made faaaaaaar too many jokes about it over the years. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really pretty and I hope you find a shawl pin to help you wear it with style. Have you looked at the hitch hicker shawl? Or pebble beach? Miss Winkle? Sakura (I made that, and it was a lovely lace knit). Maybe a search on Ravelry would help?

    Congratulations on the finish and thank you for participating in the 2016FAL, on behalf of all the hosts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...