Saturday, April 1, 2017

Stripey Stripe Block Tutorial


Hello Glitterati Royalty! Thanks for joining me for this next stop on the Honey Pot Bee Tour. I'm so excited to share my block with you--the Stripey Stripe Block.

If we haven't met before, my name is Audrey, and I've been quilting for about five years. I'm a homeschooling mama of four kiddos, including a four-month-old baby. As you can probably guess, I am totally in love with hot pink! Because of the aforementioned four kidlets, posting around these parts has been sparse of late, but I'm on instagram a whole bunch!

On to the tutorial!


Materials

Fabric A (3) 1.75" x 16" strips
Fabric B (3) 1.75" x 16" strips

Makes (1) 10.5" block.


Step 1
Sew your A and B strips together to form AB pairs.


Step 2
Sew the three AB strips into one panel. This will measure 8" x 16".

I don't use a lot of starch in my sewing adventures, but in this case, I starched my finished panel before moving on to step 3. We're about to slice and dice it and sew up some bias edges, and I found the starch kept everything crisp and neat.


Step 3
Using a rotary cutter, cut the 8" x 16" panel in half to form (2) 8" blocks.

I'm not gonna lie, at this point in the process, I considered just stopping here as I think these blocks are super fun on their own. But this tutorial would've lacked some serious spice, so I pressed on.


Step 4
Take an 8" block and cut a diagonal line down the center. You can use your ruler and rotary cutter and line it up yourself, or you can line up the corners of your block on the oblique line on your cutting mat and use that as your guide.


This will net you two triangles. Repeat with the other block, but make sure to cut them in the same fashion! In the end, you'll have four triangles.


Step 5
Flip your triangles around until your block takes shape, then sew it up! Each 8" block from step 3 will give you a triangle with a long fabric A strip and a long fabric B strip, so be sure to sew them up alternating A and B.


Step 6
Trim to 10.5".


Other Stripey Stripe Versions

Now, there are probably a kajillion ways you could customize this block and call it your own if the style above doesn't suit. My first rendition of this block was a scrappy explosion of color using leftover strips from my Gypsy Wife quilt. Those 1.5" strips were perfect for this.


I sewed and sewed until I had a scrappy panel, then followed the above steps. I found the use of starch particularly helpful with this version.

Some other options would be to use bigger or smaller strips, strips of different sizes, more or less strips. You could use three or six different colored strips. Go wild! Just remember that the width of your block needs to measure half of the length of your block.

That's it! I can't wait to see what y'all crazy talented people come up with!

8 comments:

  1. This block looks super fun, simple and fast. Can't wait to grab the string collection and get to work. Love the alternating with solids look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Stripey Stripes! I love your scrappy version SOOOO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Making it first thing tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this block and your tutorial. I can't wait to sew one up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen this block pooing up on my feeds and have to say that I love it!! The tutorial makes it look easy aswell which is always a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much. I can't wait to make this block.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...